Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mind Your Business!

Since this is my last week at my internship, I decided to feature some of my favorite coins every day. Today's coin is what has become known as the "Fugio Cent." This coin was designed by Benjamin Franklin in 1787 after the Continental Congress passed a contract for the "coining of a national copper cent." Its nickname, 'Fugio', comes from the obverse sundial design with the phrase 'Fugio' which means "I flee/fly" in Latin. Under the same sundial design is a message from Franklin, "Mind Your Business." Both the sundial and the phrase is a word puzzle or rebus that means "Time flies, do your work."

Obverse of the 'Fugio' cent showing the sundial design. (Image from Wikipedia.org)

The reverse of the coin features another Franklin design, the thirteen chain links. Obviously the thirteen chain links represent the thirteen colonies/states. In the center of the links is the phrase, "We Are One," which was also used on the 1776 Continetal Dollar.
Reverse of the 'Fugio' cent featuring Franklin's chain links. (Image from Wikipedia.org)
This coin has become one of my favorites for its interesting link (no pun intended) to our past. I love Franklin's wit and intelligence on display on our first official cent. Even though the coin seems a little cluttered with all the different design elements, I think it is the perfect coin to represent the new United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment