Sunday, August 1, 2010

Last Day on the Job

Friday marked my last day at my internship and I have to say I am sad to leave. At the end of my internship I am amazed by how much I have learned in the mere two months I had been there.

I have the ability now to look at a coin (ok, a select few coins) and know more about it than just it's denomination, I know it's past and history. I learned the difference between coins that are "double eagles" (twenty dollars), "eagles" (ten dollars), "half eagle" (five dollars) and quarter eagle ($2.50 dollars).

I have more of an appreciation for coinage, especially American. I used to think that American coins were boring and lackluster. While working with coins all summer, I learned the stories behind them and how far American coinage had come. Now I can see the beauty in even the simplest American coin, the penny.

Working in a professional environment also taught me to be assertive and tactful. I had to communicate my ideas on a daily basis and had to be confident in them. I was given tasks that allowed me to put previously learned skills to use, which I was thankful to have at those moments!

Overall I had an incredible experience working for the Smithsonian and would recommend it to anyone interested in history, museums, or political history. Now that my eyes have been open to the world of coins, I cannot help but see them everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment